Scotland has been building up to voting on whether they should become Independent from the United Kingdom since 2012, the Idea’s been in the works since the ’50s. Yes voters want to be independent, No voters want to stay in the UK.
The parties backing Yes are the snp, the greens and the socialists, the parties backing No (also known as better together or no thanks) are the tories, labour, lib dems aka the big 3 of shittery
reasons scotland would want independence
- our votes literally don’t count seriously like in a mentaphor you guys would understand it would be as though our entire country voted democrat but the republicans still got into government because the uk is heavily imbalanced
- literally the population of the whole of scotland = the population of london.
- don’t want to be a part of illegal wars
- the maj. of scotland has a socialist sentiment so you could argue we don’t want to be associated w the capitalist uk
- england has been storing their nuclear weapons here for years, making us a target for attack, because they dont care about scottish lives
- basically used scotland as lab rats for taxes and shitty policies so england didnt suffer
- we have free tuition which the english govt want to take away
- we have free healthcare but westminster wants to privatise it which will badly affect scotland as the poorest nation
during the run up to the independence referendum, (referred to as #indyref for shorthand, &please use the indyref tag to talk abt these issues) the yes campaign released hugely detailed plans for an Independent Scotland, the no side produced nothing but scaremongering and outright lies about mysterious ‘new powers’ scotland would get if we stayed in the uk.
There were huge debates which took ages and i cba hashing out again but basically Yes had a more vocal support.
on the 18th sept we all voted and last night/this morning the results came in as an overwhelming result for No. this is bad as it means scotland is stuck in the racist, imperialist uk which supports illegal wars and looks like it’s going to be run by fascists by the next general election. here’s what happened in the horus following this morning;s announcement
- alex salmond, 1st minister & supporter of independence, resigns
- 'new powers' vanishing into thin air as ed miliband says he won;t sign off of them
- evidence of rigged votes in favour of the no side
- no voters who won the referendum rioting in glasgow, burn the scottish flag
- live feed to glasgow tho it looks quiet in george square atm, violence has taken to the streets
- more on ggow
i don’t know much more yet because this is the first day since the vote + i had no sleep after watching the results till 7am so i’ll be periodically reblogging more stuff as it unfolds. followers in west lothian and glasgow keep safe and maybe hide or obscure your yes flags/stickers to keep yourself safe
basically a lot of uncertainty, people have been literally stabbed and businesses burned down. keep an eye on the indyref and scotland tags + my blog if you want to know the latest. scotland’s time zone is UTC+0.
sometimes tumblr’s US-centric social justice makes me so fucking frustrated. Right now sweden’s third biggest party are literally neo-nazis and our elections couldn’t even get onto trending tags today, goddamit.
Okay, so the post is gaining notes and people are confused, so to explain what the hell is going on:
Swedish elections held were on last Sunday, 14th September. We’ve had a right-leaning government the past eight years and after this there will be a change of power. The new party, Socialdemocrats (S) gained a total of 31% percent. The old party, Moderaterna (M) gained 21%.
Sverigedemokraterna (SD) gained a total of 12.9%. Their policy is racist, Islamophobic, anti-immigration, anti-refugee, anti-diversity, anti-LGBT+, and anti-feminist. Basically, they tick every box on the douchebag lottery.
If you’re here to argue that they’re ~not actually~ Nazis: 1) Fuck you. 2) Fuck the horse the you rode in on. 3) I hope you get stepped on by a moose, you ignorant asswipe.
- they literally started as neo nazis. They have used a Neo-Nazi movement as campaign slogans,
- party members have assaulted immigrants with iron pipes (tw for racialised violence),
- worn Nazi symbols
- supported and helped build Neo-Nazi group SvP.
There’s probably more, but I don’t have links on hand.
They’ve been having rallies and demonstrations all over Sweden, and people have shown up just to turn their back on them and protest (this post explains it better).
In the 2010 elections, SD were pretty much considered no better than neo-Nazis and only got 5.7% votes - it put them in 6th place and was just enough to get them into parliament. In the elections before that, they got about 2.9%. In the past four years, they’ve grown exponentially in Sweden.
They’ve also run extremely extensive PR campaigns, appealing to the youth, kicking out members “exposed” of being racist, (note: these members often end up in SvP) and picking up buzzwords from the Socialdemocrats’ ideology.
29% of votes they gained this year were from swing voters who previously voted M, and the biggest gain have been in the south, in small towns and the countryside:
This is not something that’s just going on in Sweden. Europe has seen an influx of extreme-right parties over the last decade or so, often thinly disguised as a party that puts ‘traditional values’ and ‘national interest’ first.
In Greece and Hungary they’ve already been in power. In Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Finland France and UK, extreme-right-wing parties have been voted into the EU.
Because here’s the thing: we’ve forgotten what it looks like. We’ve gotten to the point where we’ve turned Nazism into a cartoonish lampoon of goose-stepping, uniforms and moral lessons that “we’ll never be like them~”, ignoring the fact nationalism is not as cut-and-dry two ends of an extreme but exists on a scale.
People have been apologising for SD’s actions for a while now because they’re not considered “extremist enough” to be neo-Nazis, because they don’t share the same beliefs, because they’ve “publicly denounced” SvP.
But the same people still get hurt. Still SD has the institutional and systematic power and privilege to oppress, degrade and humiliate people of colour, which they already have done. Stop making excuses for them. Stop making leeways for right-wing-extremists because that is how they gain tract.
Please spread this.